The Politics of Spouses

Color me bored! I have been spending some time in Wikipedia lately looking at a few of the candidates running for the US Presidency. One interesting, somewhat controversial, facet of the candidates' personal lives is the age difference between them and their spouses. Here is a list:
24 Years: Fred(64) & Jeri(40) Thompson (not official candidate yet)

21 Years: John(74) & Cindy(53) McCain

11 Years: Rudy(63) & Judith(52) Giuliani

4 Years: John(54) & Elizabeth(58) Edwards

3 Years: Mitt (60) & Ann(57) Romney

2 Years: Barack(45) & Michelle Obama(43)

1 Year: Hillary(59) & Bill(60) Clinton
I remember, back in 1994 when I was single again, how I would have conversations with single women who were 10+ years my junior. I remember thinking and wondering what kind of a relationship I could have with someone who hadn't experienced seeing the Beatles on Ed Sullivan or lived through the Vietnam War. Candidly, those experiences weigh in when I think of the candidates ... maybe they shouldn't but they do.

To be clear, I am not categorically disparaging those who have found happiness with another who is 20+ years their junior ... but it does weigh in a bit when I consider a person who is running for the highest office in our country. Guess I am just thinking a bit different these days about candidates and voting ... trying to get the full picture ... trying to get a picture of who the candidate is ... trying to not be manipulated by the hot button issues ... or something.

1 comment:

  1. Funny my husband is a bit younger and he pokes a bit of fun at me over it. As for not experiencing Nam well didn’t Bush? I remember seeing things on the news I hate that we are repeating mistakes. I don’t think it matters because those who saw it don’t seem to be making grand choices. (Milly pushes a hot button and runs away)

    ReplyDelete

I love to get comments and usually respond. So come back to see my reply. You can click here to see my comment policy.